2007年3月3日星期六

Edward Said the optimist/ 爱德华 · 萨义德:乐观主义者

...

Pessimism of the intellect, optimism of the will. Edward liked to quote Gramsci's aphorism, and with good reason. But he wasn't a pessimist of any kind, either of the intellect or the will. He was the deepest, most devoted, most unalterable kind of optimist, the optimist who can look despair in the face and keep on hoping. I remember a long argument we had at the time of the signing of the Oslo Accords. The thing went on for about four hours, Edward pacing up and down in his apartment drinking glass after glass of orange juice. I was looking for hope but looking in the wrong place. In the end, I said: 'But Edward, you've got to believe that some day, somehow, things are going to get better.' He looked at me as if I was mad, and said: 'Of course I believe that. If I didn't believe that I wouldn't be doing any of this.'

...

Michael Wood, "On Edward Said."

没有评论: